Tracking your daily habits can be an excellent way of sticking with any new resolution of change you want to make in your life.
If you are trying to build a new habit or get rid of an old one, tracking your progress on the calendar can be a huge motivating factor on your journey. If you mark the days on the calendar where you managed to successfully stick to your new habit, you’ll soon see a streak. The longer you build the streak, the harder it will become for you to break it.
Aside from that, tracking your daily habits has multiple benefits. This post discusses all that and helps you how you can start tracking your daily habits and activities.
Why tracking your daily habits helps
Tracking your daily habits can help you in several ways, including:
- It helps you understand where your time went during the day and how you can better gain back control over your life.
- It helps you set realistic goals and be more organized with your tasks, priorities, and plans for the future.
- It gives you a better idea of how much time it normally takes for you to complete a particular task.
- It keeps you accountable and boosts your productivity.
- It helps you get better at single-tasking, rather than exhausting yourself with trying to perform multiple tasks at the same time.
How to track your daily habits
Now that we have established why keeping track of your daily habits is important, let’s take a look at how you can achieve this. Broadly speaking, there are two ways in which you can do it:
Using a journal and a pen
To keep track of your daily habits using a pen and paper, you will need the following:
- Set your daily tasks at the start of your day. In other words, make a to-do list in the morning.
- Track the hours you spend on each task you have to perform throughout the day.
- At the end of the day, make a summary to reflect on everything you have accomplished during the day.
- When you are trying to build a new habit, mark all the days on the calendar in which you successfully stuck to your new resolution.
Using a habit tracker app
Habit tracker apps come in. They serve as an incredible self-accountability check and can help you boost your motivation to stick to your new habit.
You can check this post for a list of the five most popular FREE habit tracking apps on the Apple App Store.